Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tokorozawa kara....

Hey guys! So I made it to my next place where I will stay which is in Tokorozawa literally right next to Kokukoen station! :) It took about an hour and fifteen minutes, three transfers (one without escalator/elevator and me with two heavy suitcases up two flights of stairs) I finally made it!

I was a bit skeptical about this at first. I used a homestay finding website where you look at the areas, see what is available and how much the host family charges. Also included on the site is if meals are included or not, but those ones were almost twice the price (I can feed myself for a week for less. Thank you kindly!)

I've never used a site like this and was fairly sure I was going to be robbed on site. So, I've played it smart here, or at least I think I have. I have a contract, receipt, contact number/e-mail. I also have a key to the place which I made sure works. However, my host mother seems nice enough. She speaks English however, she doesn't seem to want to give me the chance to speak Japanese. So maybe I'll just go out a lot. Haha!

The area feels very much like Oregon. There are trees and shrubs lining everything which is what gives it that effect. No pictures yet, but soon to come. The apartment where I am staying is located on the 6th floor and I'm told that on a good day you can see Mt. Fuji from the balcony. Fingers crossed! Anyways, the apartment has three separate bedrooms and thank god I have a bed. Not that sleeping on a futon isn't fun, but I have about 80 separate body parts screaming at me right now. :)

So staying here is me. Obviously. My host mother who runs an English tutoring center and a boy named Bastion from Germany who speaks English and is working at the tutoring center. Which, to clarify, by center I mean one room, think of a small-medium sized classroom that seats 25 people. About that size. It is roomier than I thought it would be, so I'm glad. Not to mention. My own room. Yay! For a week at least, I don't know about my accommodations next week.

From next week I will work at the tutoring center for about 6-8 hours with my first "trial" session on Monday. If all goes well I'll earn 15,000 Yen next week and, hey, what do you know, as long as I've kept tidy and clean up before I go, my stay here will only have cost 2,500 yen! A note for all of you thinking this is a good way to stay in Japan for basically free, this is not a normal circumstance. Most of the time you will pay for your stay and be on your way. But since my host mother has a tutoring center and native English speakers are apparently really wanted, I should be able to make out of this one like a bandit. Huzzah!

Pictures to come, stories to tell. It's dinner time now. Later!

For reference, the site I used to find this opportunity was called Homestay Web. Use it at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything you do or that happens if you on your own decide to use the site to find a host family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, witty or otherwise. Questions are welcomed. As are random ramblings that leave me wondering how they're related to my post.