Saturday, May 18, 2013

Changes

So, I'm pretty sure by this point that you  all are losing faith in my ability to update! Sorry about that! I promise to try to be more diligent (and to try to stop apologizing so much - sorry!).

Moving on, it's now officially the second week of May, otherwise known as week 6 of spring term. back home this would probably signal the end (or the middle) of midterms, but what that means on a semester schedule is that they're still two weeks out and everyone is starting to feel like the teachers hate us. Okay, so it's not THAT bad, but still, the clock is a ticking'.

This month has been a difficult month in terms other than school. I'm going to veer from my normal course of talking about Japan things and put in a note on my personal life (as if this whole thing isn't).

As some of you know, when I came abroad my fiance stayed behind back home waiting for me. Hold your congratulations please. This was a very difficult thing for the both of us and caused a strain both in our personal day to day lives and on our relationship. We've been playing a sort of tug of war in staying together. Long distance relationships are in no way easy, nor are they for everyone. We learned years ago when I was a bright eyed-bushy tailed freshman going to school two hours (nothing compared to now) away from home with no license or any way to pop on home, that we were very bad at "long distance" relationships.

Boy if we had only know.

So, as you've probably inferred by now, after months of struggling to make things work while I'm here, we've parted ways. Now, to be fair, it's not only because I'm currently abroad that things have ended, but because I want to return and live in Japan after graduation and not just for a year next time. I'd like to set up camp here for a few years at least.
So, that being said, of course I'm sad. Being so far from home and from friends and family has not made this transition easier. My friends who are here have been very supportive in trying to help me through it, but there is no substitute for your best friend, your mom or Ben and Jerry's.

This past week I have come back to school after a week long hiatus and I'm putting the pieces back together. I have a lot of things to do and to look forward to so it is time to stitch myself up, put my brave face back on and move forward. I'm hoping this post will help me do so.

So, stay tuned, the rest of life's updates to come.

Also, I don't want to scare those of you who are in relationships away from going abroad. There are plenty of people out there who can and do make long distance relationships last. I'm just not the one to ask for advice.

1 comments:

qwacksalot said...

Forward is always better than backwards..

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, witty or otherwise. Questions are welcomed. As are random ramblings that leave me wondering how they're related to my post.