Wednesday, January 29, 2014

America

Hey everyone. As you all know I've been back stateside for a couple of weeks now. I've been dealing with re-entry shock (which actually is a thing), but it's not nearly as bad as the homesickness I experienced in Japan.

A lot of what has been hitting me as been to do with A) Food B) Waste and C) Manners/Customs. With food I have had a lot of exciting "I'd forgotten that existed!" and I've had a lot of "Why on earth would anyone BUY that?" moments. I've also been delighted at the cheap price of fruits and meats. However, I'm a bit... sick of meat already. Actually, I've been working on learning to cook more Japanese food and I still try to eat rice at least once daily. Honestly, American food makes me feel.... not so great about myself.

As for waste, I've been entirely disgusted with it. Half of dinner that nobody ate? Why eat it tomorrow when we could throw it away? That type of mentality. Also just the amount of garbage and lack of recycling in general has had me already yell exasperatedly a few times "What do you mean you don't have a place for your cans? I can't just throw them away!!" On the other hand, I'm LOVING the abundance of garbage cans.

As for manners and customs I'm talking about things like wearing shoes indoors instead of slippers (yes, I got used to that. Yes, I'm wearing slippers right now. Yes. I love my slippers and everyone makes fun of me.). Classes too for that matter. I've gotten used to half of the class not caring or falling asleep and the other half barely feigning attention and now I'm back to classes that are all go, all the time and if you aren't why did you even come to class today? So that's interesting.

Also. People are rude. Seriously. Sometimes I just want to *urgh*. 

But, maybe more on that boring stuff later.

In more exciting news, I'm glad to inform you all that I passed the N3 level of the JLPT. Lots of squealing ensued.

I am also happy to announce that I have passed the application process of the JET program and have an interview on February 14th. Yup. Valentines day. So time to buy a suit. Chelsea also has proceeded to the interview rounds, so help cheer her on as well!!

That said, so long as all goes according to plan, I'll be back in Japan come August. I look forward to keeping you all up to date on the JET program and hopefully my time abroad once more. :)

1 comments:

vizteca said...

That's funny about recycling since Eugene is trying to be a well known place for recycling, since they got rid of plastic bags. I like how Eugene also has sorted recycling bins around campus and other parts of the city. Not just one trash can that says recycling,we actually have bins that say compost, plastic film, paper etc. AND holy crap you were up late lol

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, witty or otherwise. Questions are welcomed. As are random ramblings that leave me wondering how they're related to my post.